FHF FUN FACT QUIZ
Can you name a well-known historic Denver citizen that was buried at both Riverside and Fairmount???
ANSWER: JOHN WESLEY ILIFF
ABOUT JOHN WESLEY ILIFF:
- He was born in Ohio in 1831
- He attended Ohio Wesleyan University
- Moved to Denver in 1859 and began a mercantile store
- To get a supply of meat for miners he started a ranch north-east of Denver, along South Platte River
- Became the “Cattle King of Colorado”
- Owned up to 10,00 acres, 25,000 cattle, employed up to 50 cowboys
- Also supplied meat to the workers building the Union Pacific Railroad
- His ranch headquarters is now the Town of Iliff, Colorado
- After railroad completed, sent beef to the Chicago Stockyards
- He married Elizabeth Fraser in 1870 (12 years his junior)
- She was a Singer Sewing Machine Saleswoman
- They had three children, Edna, Louise, and John Jr.
- In 1878 he died at age 46 from drinking “bad water” on his ranch
- He was originally buried at Riverside Cemetery
- His widow erected a monument 33 feet high, topped by a statue of the Roman Goddess Minerva
- His widow remarried to Bishop Henry White Warren in 1883
- She and the Bishop began the Iliff School of Theology
- Denver’s Iliff Avenue and Iliff School of Theology are named for John
- Elizabeth died in 1920 and is buried in Block 63 at Fairmount Cemetery
- Later in 1920, John Iliff’s body and the monument
were moved to Fairmount to be beside Elizabeth.
By Tom Morton
Support the Fairmount Heritage Foundation
One Year Individual Membership $25Includes membership for one Your choice of one of our tours for you and 5 friends ( history /mystery not included
One Year Family Membership $75Includes the same as an individual membership, but for your entire family.
One Year Premiere Membership $100Includes membership for family
Includes a free copy of history of Riverside cemetery book “Denver’s Riverside Cemetery Where History Lies” by Annett L. StudentIncludes your choice of one of our tours for you and 10 friends (history/mystery not included) Includes 10% discount at the Annual Rose sale for up to 4 roses plants